Wednesday, November 14, 2012

At death's door

Back on the trail, I finally reach the State Library where I hope to find some trace of my grandmother. The last I knew is that she was here in June of 1946, nine months after the war ended. I slide through microfilm death indexes- 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949--Jan., Feb., March, April, May, June.  Door, Alfred K.; Gonsalves, Jesus; Goo, Yee, Goodness, Fannie; Goto, Grey. Lots of Hamamotos. The rolls reveal Hawaii as melting pot (or racial cauldron).

Finally there she is- 4 lines:
 Reg. No. 1383.
Name: HAMILTON, Florence
Place: Honolulu
Date: June 3, 1949.

She did die here -- in black and white. This number will help me locate her death certificate. Meanwhile, I search the city and county directories for her, and come up with--nothing, except for confirmation of the Bishop Trust Company's hold on things.  How could there be no trace?  I'm told by the librarian, if she had been in the military she wouldn't be listed here. Was she?
She had been in London during the war, working for the government, making contacts. Maybe she joined up here after the war.

With file number 1383, I head for the State Department of Health. Everyone comes here for copies of birth, death, and marriage certificates. I wait, but the line barely moves. I have time to read all the postings.What to do in case of stroke. How to prevent diabetes. The changed laws on getting a first driver's license (must prove identity with birth certificate). Finally I reach the window and show my file number. The gentleman looks it up--finds a reference and asks me for proof that I'm related.  Hmmm. A new wrinkle, not mentioned on their website instructions. I must look a bit desperate as Jesse Koike writes his name on a post-it and suggests I mail in copies of my dad's birth certificate and mine to establish the blood linkage. Otherwise, I'm out of luck.




Empty handed, I visit the banyan, and think about trees walking, putting down roots in the most improbable ways.  Taffy strands pulled between dirt and sky, waterfalls of phloem, haven of Crusoe, and all castaways.

No comments: